Thursday, June 14, 2012

Why is it called toilet paper

if you can´t put it in the toilet?

Last night
after tucking in the mosquito net all around my bed
I realized that I had forgotten to set my phone alarm
which was charging across the room
I decided that I hadn´t had any problems with my watch alarm yet, so I could just trust the one
but my intuition knew
all night I tossed and turned because I only had one alarm set
and I had been invited to soccer practice with a local team at 0600
and of course, it turns out I should have set two
because somehow during the night
I reset my watch to east coast time
and I wake up to my new friend sticking his head through the window
and admonishing me for being asleep
we were already 7 minutes late for the 0600 soccer practice
super embarrassed, I rushed into the bathroom to put in my contacts etc
yet somehow spaced out putting the toilet paper into into the bin next to the toilet
I realized my error just after the last wipe
and contemplated reaching in to correct my error, before deciding that just this once couldn´t hurt
besides, every second was making us later
luckily, it all flushed (not even sure what the reason is behind the practice)
and besides
it´s that super brown triple recycled toilet paper that practically disintegrates in humid air

turns out it was full sided scrimmage day
and because we were late
we were both subs
my buddy didn´t even get into the game
because he had to go to work at 0730
I feel super bad

I did eventually get out onto the field, as one of the central defenders
playing in old running shoes
on a field covered with dawn dew
I made some silly errors
but I also prevented at least two goals
and they didn´t score while I was on the field
so they invited me back for tomorrow
I´ll probably set 3 alarms just to be safe
I just hope these shoes hold together for another week
after surviving 500 miles and one rough snow shoe race
theyre tearing on both sides, and soccer puts a lot of torque on them
would by another pair, but...

running short on cash after buying an airline ticket to Buenos Aires
decided the six days that I would have been on buses between here and Mendoza can be better utilized in preparation for my research in Mendoza. It will be good to find a host family and get oriented a few days before I start at the hospital. I´ll save the land journey for another time. Perhaps by motorcycle dad?

Speaking of motos
I´ve gotten a lot more comfortable as a passenger, as with the increasing heat, I´ve opted more often to take a mototaxi than walk when I need to get accross town. Yesterday, I piled on one along with half of my host family. Never thought that 5 people could fit on an 8hp moto...





No comments:

Post a Comment