Monday, September 3, 2012

Return to medical school:

As my lack of blog updates indicate, the transition from South America to my introductory pharmacology course was rather abrupt and somewhat challenging. In fact I can't remember if I ever wrote a post about Chile. Since I'm already three weeks removed, I'll just give some general impressions as both my memories and Spanish skills fade away.

Viña del Mar reminded me of San Diego. If Argentina was first world, my first impression of Chile was that I was indeed back in the USofA. I again was lucky to find very kind hosts through CS and even had my own room in a high rise overlooking the Pacific. I explored a different direction each day on my runs and also enjoyed the large TV and cable coverage of the Olympics.

Valparaíso was really cool. Only. Few km down the coast from Viña, the modern high rises gave way to a Bohemian port city. A childhood of sailing novels came rushing back as I recalled how Valpo was a resupply stop for everyone from Cook to Slocum. Super hilly, but even more colorful. Each house seemed determined to outdo its neighbor with mural, fresco, or mosaic.

After three nights on the coast, it was time for Santiago. Definitely did not have enough time to get a good feel for this huge city, but I did go on a fascinating bike tour aimed at outlining the political divisions within Chilean society. It was a great review of the disgusting role that the CIA played in Pinochet's coup, but even more fascinating was how little has changed since Pinochet left office.

From Santiago it was a direct flight back to Toronto. Early Sunday arrival left me stranded a long way from the bus terminal, but some nice Albertians gave me a ride downtown. Then 5 hour bus ride back to Rochester.

No comments:

Post a Comment