Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Over the Andes into Chile

The tunnel at the top was really long
I took the opportunity to go to the bathroom in the back of the bus
we came out on the Chilean side just as I was walking back to my seat

no problem at customs, besides some raisins that I had
I decided to eat them all rather than throw them out
luckily I have intestines of iron after a summer of traveling
400grams of raisins does nothing

then 27 switchbacks down a very steep boulder field
super impressive that there used to be a railroad here
cool remnants of a covered track
though nowadays it doesn´t seem like it snows as much

the final 3 hours of the drive were a struggle to stay awake
warm afternoon sun and picturesque vinards in the Chilean central valley
the air gradually getting more humid as we approached the coast
smell more and more like San Diego
though temperatures like San Francisco

ViƱa del Mar reminds me of the Spanish coastline near Barcelona
I´ve decided to run a different direction for each of my four days here

On Thursday I´ll go to Santiago for my last two nights before returning to North America.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment