Saturday, May 19, 2012

Things I learned from an adolescent patient

I should avoid conversation until I've finished washing my hands, and can turn and make eye contact with my patient.

If I need to take any notes, be clear whether or not my patient is supposed to see what I am writing. In general, try to refer less to notes.

Memorize the HEEADSSS adolescent screening outline to make sure that I don't miss any key areas.
- Home
- Education/Employment
- Eating/ Exercise
- Activities + Relationships
- Drugs, Cigarettes, Alcohol
- Sexuality
- Suicide
- Safety (+spirituality?)

Address confidentiality before asking about relationships and drugs. Then make those conversations as concise as possible, with many open ended questions, allowing my patient to take them as far as she wants.


No comments:

Post a Comment